Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What to Do With Leftover Halloween Candy...

...That is if you HAVE any leftover Halloween candy! :p I was always amazed at the kids that would actually still have Halloween candy come Christmas. How do you resist??? How? ;p

I can't have a ton of sweets around my casa b/c if I did...I would choose chocolate over a salad every. time. And apparently...woman cannot live by chocolate alone. Boo.

So...here are a few things I had laying around the household that needed to consumed or used. 


Then...


I saw chocolate covered potato chips in Trader Joes & thought...ohh...I wonder if that would taste delish as a chocolate bark?! 

It worked & was soo easy.

 Here are the steps:

1) Melt chocolate in microwave for 30 second increments until melted
2) Lay wax paper down on a baking sheet 
3) Pour 1/2 melted chocolate onto the wax paper
4) Crush potato chips (I just pounded them in the bag they came in)
5) Pour potato chips over melted chocolate
6) Melt caramel in microwave in 15 sec increments (it melts fast) 
7) Drizzle the caramel over the potato chips. The amount of caramel is up to you. I think I used about 7-8 of those caramel squares. Some of my taste testers said more caramel, some said less. 
8) Pour the rest of the melted chocolate over the potato chips & caramel so it covers it. (You may have to reheat the chocolate)
9) Refrigerate for about 20 minutes or until it hardens. Take out & break apart & enjoy!



10 out of 10 taste testers totally approved of this! :p 

Here are a few tips/suggestions: 

* Don't skimp on the chips. I used about 1/2 of this bag but everyone said...they wanted more Lays. 
* I also should've used the ridged potato chips. 
* Try a sample piece of bark to see if the distribution is what you prefer. I felt very scientific typing that. ;p 


You really could use a mixture of all kinds of leftover Halloween candy to create your own "bark creation." 

Snickers + Potato Chips = Yummy
Reeses Peanut Butter cups + White chocolate = Oh Yeah!
Almond Joys + Caramel = German Chocolate Cake in Bar form

AND...the best part??? If you're able to freeze this...take it out at the end of November, beginning of December & give it to neighbors & friends as a Christmas gift/treat. It will help your pocket book & your time clock. 

I'm experimenting with this right now. Every where I read, it said to make sure you do 2 things when you freeze chocolate - 

1) Make sure it is AIRTIGHT! 
2) When defrosting it, do not take it out of the packaging & slowly allow it to reach room temperature before opening. 

At the beginning of December check back & I'll let you know how it worked. 

Any good combos you can think of with leftover Halloween candy? 







3 comments:

  1. Yum!! I make choc. covered pringles at Christmas but this looks soooo much yummier! I just started working out/dieting, so I sent all the extra candy to my son's school for treats. Pretty sure the other moms hate me now, lol!! I'll have to try this for Chrismas though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sounds soo delicious! I also wanted to congratulate you and let you know that I have awarded you the Liebster Award! Stop by my blog and check out the details! : http://chevymommasramblings.blogspot.com/2011/11/liebster-award-i-am-so-excited-to-tell.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this actually looks AMAZING! I think I might make some of these for Christmas gifts...

    ReplyDelete

Anything you say, can & will be used to enhance this blog. :-) Thank you for your comments! <3