Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Let's Give Em Something to Talk About...(Biggest Party of my Life, continued)



One of my biggest concerns when planning parties is for everyone to have fun. 


That's why I always suggest to have handfuls of napkins. They always get the party started. ;p 

Well...that's not exactly the direction I was going but there's definitely something fun & crazy about throwing napkins up in the air & shouting "Oopah"! This was taken the night before our reception. We went to a Mediterranean restaurant & had so much fun. Those are three of my best friends in the whole world right there.  Kauri (the redhead) did a guest blog for me here. Jenny (in the purple) did my invitations & programs & you can visit her site here. Rachael has a brand new baby girl that has stolen my heart & she's starting a job marketing healthy baby products. 

Okay...sorry...back on track. 

Weddings especially can be a little awkward if you don't know other people there. Weddings often involve sitting for awhile waiting on the bride & groom.  There's only so long that you can take Aunt Gertrude talking about all her recent ailments. 

That's why I decided to help the guests out a little.



See the little yellow tag tied around the flowers? 



You can see it better here. This was after the rain drenching. :-( My friends helped me finish all of these & hand-stamped each one. Stinkin rain. ;p 

I found those over-sized tags at PaperSource on clearance for a little over a $1. I got three packs (10 in each) of yellow, green & grey. 

Using the stamps I had used for the matchbox favors, I stamped "Something to Talk About" on the front &  on the back I attached printed conversation starter questions. 

Each table had a different question and I wrote on the back encouraging them to check out the questions on other tables. 


I wanted to give you the conversation starter questions I used so you can use them too...at your next party (if you'd like) or even your next date. 

If you don't like these, Real Simple posts a question a day that would be good. I used a few of their questions & just came up with the rest. 

CONVERSATION STARTERS 

1) Do you have a dish that's your specialty?
2) If you could go back in time, when & where would you live?
3) If you could play hooky for a day, what would you do? 
4) If you had an "I'd rather be ______" sticker on your car, what would it say?
5) What magazine fits you most (your personality/life)?
6) What did you want to do when you were little?
7) What is the worst financial advice you've ever received?
8) What's the biggest etiquette dilemma you've faced?
9) What reality TV show would you consider auditioning for? 
10) What is the first concert you ever went to?
11) Name three songs that were on your mix tape.
12) What is the weirdest thing you've seen at a wedding? 
13) What movie line do you quote the most?
14) What decade do you think most defines your personal style?
15) What was your favorite toy as a kid? 

The worst party is where people feel uncomfortable. That's why I always try & give everyone a variety of activities & ways to get involved with one another. 


And of course...there's always gotta be dancing! It is difficult to get people out on the dance floor but here are my two must-haves to get people to dance -

1) My DAD - I know...you probably went "huh?" 
My dad is an elementary school PE teacher (the best) & creates all kinds of original line dances for his classes. At weddings, he whips those line dances out & he's like the pied-piper. So...if you'd like to rent him for your next event, just email me. Seriously though...if you have at least one or two people you talk to ahead of time start the dancing...everyone will follow. Especially if it's line dances. They're fun & easy to learn, you don't have to have a partner & by the time you get down every step...the song is done...which makes you want more. 

2) A GREAT DJ! - And that is hard to come by. If you have time, I'd highly suggest stopping in to hear the prospective DJ on another gig before deciding. ORR...you could contact our DJ who was & is awesome...but I will warn you...he has no Lady Gaga. My friend Jenny was quite disappointed when she found out. ;p He really is incredible. His name is Tony May & you can contact him here

Well...that does it for the wedding reception posts. Ya know how I said I don't need drugs, I plan parties? It is seriously the truth. I'm itching to plan another one.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT Heidi!
    I've so enjoyed seeing & hearing about your wedding AND the reception! We had a small wedding (about 35 people) and a large reception later and I am SO GLAD... it worked out perfectly, for us anyway.
    I also have to say... I don't know specifics of your story, I've only picked up bits & pieces here and there... but I LOVE seeing you happy!
    Blessings to you & congratulations too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Anything you say, can & will be used to enhance this blog. :-) Thank you for your comments! <3