Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Flippin Dip

Before you think I've lost it, let me explain my thought process in deciding this title.

We'll be taking an every day household item and making it useful for something else...

                                                        -> Kinda like flipping houses (sortof)

We'll be using the household items to hold veggies & dip...

                                                        -> Flipping the household items for dip =

                                                                  FLIPPIN' DIP 

....Not to mention that it sounds more dangerous...more edgy & we all need a little bit of that in our lives. :p 

With 4th of July right around the bend, you probably have plans to head to the lake, go on a picnic or just cookout in the backyard. You want to make the set-up look festive & fun but don't have the serving dishes to do that or the funds to raid Macy's Martha Stewart collection. What do you do? 

Use whatcha got! Here's a simple project that anyone can do with items they have around the house. We'll start with the "after" then dissect it from there. Can you guess what this is comprised of? (It's very sad when you think "comprised" is a big word. Which I just did, in my mind. I almost put "SAT word" then I realized SAT words are probably much larger than that one. :p)



I decided to start with the finished product...then "undress" (I know...you didn't realize you were reading such a provocative blog, did you?) the veggie tray.


Sorry for my caption that you probably didn't find funny. I felt like I needed to give these guys a voice. Somehow, I imagine their voices would sound similar to Zach Galifianakis. 

The cute blue gingham wraparound is just some scrapbook paper that I got for $0.59 awhile ago & it was in my stash. I just measured the correct height & it took me less than 5 minutes to cut it out, wrap around & tape. This would a perfect way to incorporate a pattern/color/theme throughout your food display.


See that pretty leafy stuff hangin out the side? That's Kale. Kale is like the flowers of the food group. It just makes things pretty. AND...umm...I have been thoroughly enjoying kale chips lately. Quick, delish & healthy with a capital H. 


It's like I just stripped off the mascara. :p Are you starting to see my madness method? See the bottom there? A pie pan. However, I really wished I didn't have the little handles on the pan. In my mind, it was going to be a perfectly round platter but the "love handles" on this here pie pan weren't cooperating with my plan. (Side note - I have nothing against love handles. I understand why they are named that & I agree. Nothin but love for handles. the end)


Pie Pan + these clear plastic glasses = Veggie Platter


I'm sure you could use any cups you have around the house. For a kids party, those cute little dixie cups would be great. I took 5 of these cups, set them inside the pie pan, stuck one more cup in the middle & then filled them with carrots, tomatoes, squash, broccoli, celery & a dip I mixed up with sour cream. 


Here's the whole gang, exposed. Sorry. I couldn't help one more reference. 


And all together. 


That cute little 4th of July sign is courtesy of TomKatStudios. If you click on the name, it will bring you to the blog & links to the etsy shop where you can buy one too. I actually got mine from a cute magazine called Celebrations. They had the cutouts in the back section. TomKatStudios has really cute party things & inspiration. 

I hope you are inspired to use whatcha got this 4th of July...and beyond. You never know what you may create. Here are a few more examples of usin whatcha got -


Cute little treat stand using plates & candle holders from thecraftingchicks.com 


What a great idea from creativepartyplanners.net for keeping food warm. 


I know we've got a ways to go before Halloween but this great idea from marthastewart.com could also translate into a hollowed out watermelon! That would be soo cute!


Another great idea for old cans...using them to hold breadsticks...or pretzels or just the silverware. 

Do you have any tricks for displaying food using whatcha got? 






























2 comments:

  1. I love that idea to wrap scrap book paper around cans for utensil holders. So simple, and yet I've never thought about doing that. :-) Thank you for the many party ideas that you continue to offer. I have tucked many of them back in my head for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking that you could use a watermelon cut in half and cored to use as a drink cooler in the summer (like the Martha Stewart pumpkin)...just a thought. Kauri

    ReplyDelete

Anything you say, can & will be used to enhance this blog. :-) Thank you for your comments! <3